Saturday, August 2, 2008

Giving back & Handing out

Today started really great. I volunteered at a local school system for a new program they have called "Fast Track" . It is a community outreach program where neighborhood businesses ,church's,civic groups all donate back to school type goods and services to underprivileged kids in the community. They had free haircuts,tons of informational booths, health screen info,food,live music and the best part the parents brought in their kids to get their needed school supplies for the year. So they got backpacks,filler paper,notebooks,folders,pens,pencils,markers,erasers,pencil cases,markers,Kleenex,and tons of other school related supplies. Since it was the 1st year they had no idea how successful it would be. They sent out letters to approx 2300 kids and boy let me tell you I think they were all there. We arrived at 8:30 got signed in and went to the gym for a 9:15 prep meeting then the kids rolled in at 9:30. I was a school supply volunteer. Which means I helped a child or family pick out their supply lists & then through all of the tables to fill their backpacks with items they had on their lists. We did that from 9:30 until almost 1 pm non-stop. It was totally awesome. I loved being able to be with the kids and help them pick out their school stuff. I got a wide range of kids too.All the way from kindergarten to Seniors.Everyone was so pleased and happy to be a part of it and it was an fantastic experience for me . I can't wait till next year!


Then I came home and had lunch with Mom & Bella . Mom went home and Bella & I laid down for a nap and got out beauty rest. Then Adam came home from work and we chatted and he played in the yard with Bella for awhile and we headed to Greenwood to eat. Then we off the cuff decided to stop into look at furniture. Well in case you didn't know I donated our couch to Goodwill about a month ago because our dog and our child had totally ruined it. So we really had no choice but to come home with a delivery date. Around labor day we should have new furniture and here it is below.

So we ended up with 2 couches and that really cool ottoman. I have had a plan for 2 yrs in my head how I'd like our living room set up and I am working my way towards making it work. The new job will help out loads.
Did you see the "Marilyn" life size doll? It was not where we shopped but in a window of a store right down the strip mall from the place we got ice cream. I couldn't resist taking her picture. Doesn't it look like she is screaming in agony.Crazy the things folks will put in their homes

2 comments:

Ronda said...

Oh, I wanted to volunteer for the handout today. I guess God had different plans for me, and of course, they worked out better. They always do.

Congratualtions on your new couch. Can't wait to see the finished living room! It's gonna be gaw-geous.

Mynde said...

I am so jealous! Jealous that you went out to dinner and picked out a new sofa. We have shopped for sofas at least 4000 times and my indecisive self can not manage to pick one. So here's the plan- today you guys go back out to dinner and pick something for us- would ya???? Or hey, never mind- I'll just call your furniture store and switch the delivery address (where did you say you bought it??????) It looks beautiful, can't wait to come and crash on it : )